Online Summer Reading Challenge
June 20 - August 8, 2020
Participate in the Miami‑Dade Public Library System's annual Summer Reading Challenge from the comfort of your own home. From virtual programs and events to tracking your reading, this year the challenge is happening online. You'll still have the chance to win great prizes. Every 30 minutes you read or listen to a book gets you an entry ticket into the prize drawing. The more you read, the greater your chances of winning! Attend virtual library programs for more chances to win! Check out our online calendar of events and YouTube page to find virtual programs and storytimes.
Open to all ages.Sign-up / Reading & Virtual Programs Attended Log
You'll need your library card number and password/PIN to sign-up and access the online reading and activity log. Don't have a library card? Sign up for an eCard to get immediate access to the Library's collection.
Avoid the “Summer Slide” with MDPLS
During the summer, children and teens who aren't reading or participating in other learning activities can lose up to two months of academic skills achieved during the school year.
Participating in the Online Summer Reading Challenge can help students avoid the "summer slide." Reading for just 20 minutes a day helps kids and teens retain and enhance their reading skills. Additionally, children who see their parents and other adults in their lives reading tend to read more and build healthy reading habits.
Parents can also help their children stay engaged and continue learning with the MDPLS Online Homework Help & Tutoring Program. Weekly 30‑minute summer virtual tutoring sessions are available by appointment from 10 a.m. ‑ 1 p.m. on Saturdays through August 22. Students grades K‑12 can get free tutoring in reading and math from certified teachers. For more information, visit www.mdpls.org/tutor.
Summer Success Resources
MDPLS eBooks, audiobooks and more!
Access thousands of titles to your personal computer, mobile device or through the MDPLS mobile app.
Miami‑Dade County Public Schools
Ebooks and audiobooks for students K‑12.
MDPLS Online Homework Help & Tutoring Program
Free one‑on‑one weekly tutoring from certified teachers.
Florida Division of Blind Services
Summer Reading Program for non‑sighted and low vision participants.
Miami Marlins Summer Slugger Program
Play fun, baseball themed literacy and math games.
Healthy Body, Healthy Mind
Free Grab and Go Meals for Kids at the Library
MDPLS Online Calendar
Search virtual summer programs and storytimes.
- Participants must hold a Miami Dade Public Library System card. If you don't have a card, you may sign‑up for an eCard online, which will be emailed to you to begin using immediately.
- Participants must register online. If you need assistance, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call any library location.
- Participants may submit their reading logs online in increments of 30 minutes. Books, eBooks, magazines, audiobooks – all reading counts!
- Participants may also submit any virtual program attendance online, including participation in MDPLS Online Homework Help & Tutoring Program 30‑minute sessions.
- Parents or legal guardians may submit online reading and activity logs on behalf of their children.
- Participants may continue to submit and update their reading and activity log online from June 20 ‑ August 8, 2020.
- No entries will be accepted after Saturday, August 8, 2020.
- All entries received by midnight August 8th will be entered in the Grand Prize drawing.
- The Grand Prize drawing will be held the week of August 17th. Winners will be notified no later than August 29, 2020.
- Employees of the Miami‑Dade Public Library System are ineligible to participate in the prize drawing.
Check back often as more prizes are added for the prize drawings at the end of the challenge.
Assorted prize packs for each age group
- Autographed memorabilia
- Miami Marlins Gift Bag
Thank you to our generous sponsors for supporting our 2020 Online Summer Reading Challenge.