- Hold baby comfortably on your lap with a book. Baby will enjoy the closeness to you.
- Help baby to explore the book. Baby will lift, grab, turn, chew, open and close book.
- Point out different pictures in books. Babies like colorful pictures best.
- Keep books where your baby can reach them. Babies love to explore by themselves.
- Talk, sing, rhyme and repeat words with your baby. Babies quickly become familiar with words you use.
- Make a fuss when your baby coos, gurgles and 'talks'. Babies communicate with you.
- Develop a daily reading routine. Babies quickly learn that before nap comes reading time with mommy or daddy.
- Visit your local library often. You and your baby can enjoy storytime and get baby-friendly books to share.