Black History Month
Photography and Video Contest
January 22 - February 10
Calling all Teens!
Get behind the lens and give us your best shot.
Enter the MDPLS Black History Month Photography and Video Contest
Get creative and express yourself through photography or video in our 10th annual contest. For ages 13‑19.
Photography and Video Contest Entry Rules
- Contestants must be between 13 and 19 years of age and hold a Miami‑Dade Public Library System library card.
- All photographs and videos must be the original work of the participant.
- Digital photograph entries must be no larger than 2MB in JPEG format and uploaded to a file‑sharing service like Microsoft OneDrive or Google Drive.
- Video entries must be no longer than one minute and uploaded to a file‑sharing service like YouTube or Google Drive.
- The link to the photograph or video file must be sent to email@example.com by midnight Saturday, February 10, 2018. The email submitted must contain the entrant’s name, address, phone number, email, branch, school (if applicable), title of photograph or video and the following language for electronic certification:
“I certify that the photograph submitted is mine and is completely original. I grant the Miami‑Dade Public Library System (MDPLS) permission to use my name, creative work and visual image in its publications without recourse. I understand that my photograph will not be returned.”
- Winners will be notified by Monday, February 26, 2018.
- All entries become the property of MDPLS and will not be returned.
- Employees of MDPLS and their families are not eligible to participate.
Enter by submitting a photograph that captures some aspect of African American culture in Miami‑Dade County.
Categories: Architecture, Art, Lifestyle
Enter by submitting a 60 second video that answers one of the following questions:
What does Black History Month mean to you?
Why is it important to celebrate Black History Month?
Feel free to express yourself through song, poetry, dance, art and more. All submissions must be family‑friendly and appropriate for audiences of all ages.
Photography & Video Prizes
(One for each category)
$100 Gift Card
$75 Gift Card
$50 Gift Card
The winning photographs and videos will be posted online at www.mdpls.org and on our Facebook page.
Photographs and videos will be judged on technical quality, artistic merit and visual impact.
Digital Photography: The Complete Photographer
Ultimate guide to every style and subject of digital photography, from portraits to wildlife to architecture.
By Tom Ang
iPad and iPhone Video: Film, Edit, and Share the Apple Way
This book explores all the steps of shooting great videos and explains everything you need to know about editing the results to tell your story.
By Jeff Carlson
Selma 1965: The Photographs of Spider Martin
See the Civil Rights Movement in Selma 1965 through the lens of Spider Martin.
By Spider Martin
YOUmedia Miami (North)
North Dade Regional Library
2445 NW 183 St.
YOUmedia Miami (South)
South Dade Regional Library
10750 SW 211 St.
Miami Beach Regional Library
227 22nd St.
West Kendall Regional Library
10201 Hammocks Blvd.
Please contact the branch for more information on how you can learn more about photography and video production.