Lemon City Branch
The Lemon City Branch Library is one of the oldest public libraries in South Florida. The original building was erected in 1902 and was a homey wood-framed structure. In 1963, the library was moved to a larger, 6,393 square foot building, which was able to accommodate a much larger collection of books and materials. The Lemon City Branch Library, once referred to as the "cradle of civilization" for Southeast Florida, continues to flourish in its present location and currently serves a growing Haitian population.
In addition to housing a 10,000 multi-varied collection of books and materials, the library has expanded to include the latest in technology including online databases, and access to the Internet. Conveniently located in "Little Haiti," the library is two blocks from Biscayne Boulevard, a major thoroughfare in the City of Miami and has its own bus stop. Although modernization of the area has practically eliminated the "Wild Lemon Trees" that were so prevalent and for which the area is named, the library continues to flourish and be rich in history and culture in this developing community.