The Culmer/Overtown Branch Library was founded in 1936 by the Friendship Garden and Civic Club as the Dunbar Library. In 1938, it was incorporated into the City of Miami Library System. In 1941, a new building named the Dorsey Memorial Park Library was dedicated, thus becoming the first city-owned building built expressly for library purposes. In 1961, Dorsey Memorial Branch moved to the Dixie Park area and was renamed the Dixie Park Branch. In 1983, the County Commission changed the name to Culmer/Overtown as it remains today. The branch has a wide variety of materials, but specializes in Childrens and Black Cultural materials. It is the systems first children-oriented branch, with 60 percent of the collection dedicated to childrens materials. The adult department has an in-depth Black culture collection with many materials that are no longer in print, making the collection very dear to the system.